A Mighty Recipe: Sweet & Smoky Turkey Chili
By: Olivia Brant, RD, Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics & Registered Dietitian
This sweet & smoky turkey chili requires minimal prep and leaves you with hours of nothing to do but curl up on the couch (and stir, on occasion).
- Splash of Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup Dried Black-Eyed Peas
- 1/2 lbs MightyMeals Bulk Sweet Potatoes (Using Mighty Meals pre-cooked sweet potatoes saved me 40 minutes of roasting time and NO cleanup for any sheet pans!)
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3-4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Ground Chipotle Chile (P.S. I like my food SPICY. If you don’t, scale back.)
- 1/2 tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Apple Butter
- Cheese (optional)
- Brown turkey in a Dutch oven on the stove, with a little bit of olive oil.
- Remove turkey, add onions, peppers and sauté until soft. Add garlic and sauté for a minute or so.
- Add turkey back to Dutch oven. Add dry seasonings & mix.
- Add ALLLLL the other goodies, except the sweet potatoes.
- Simmer for 1 hour covered. Remove lid, stir, and simmer for 3-4 hours more, until beans are tender.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes for the last 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and add cheese to top it off, if you like.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories: 200 cal
Protein: 20 g
Carbohydrate: 28 g
Fiber: 9 g